Two down, one to go, and another step closer to starting my MadMen Inspired ensemble! I think I finally conquered my my complex of wearing oversized sweaters with this project. Navajo has an interesting construction. It's a sweater/shrug fusion; enough structure to keep me in my comfort zone.
I really wanted to knit something Cowichan-esque. I was a little surprised and bummed to see patterns for doing so were limited, but also glad to find a compromise with Jo Storie's pattern, Navajo. A quick Google search shows how much of a stretch it is to consider the colorwork in this design "Navajo", but it definitely has a Native/Tribal vibe to it, and it is somewhat blanket like.
The pattern doesn't call for it, but I decided to pick up and knit along the front bands and collar. I did ten rows of double seed stitch over 275 stitches. I'm pleased with the way it turned out; without it, I think it would border on sloppy...maybe push me over the wearability edge. I knit the smaller of the two sizes provided. I could have benefited from eliminating ~half a chart worth of length, but I'm not disappointed with my finished sweater.
I really love the distribution of texture and pattern throughout the process of knitting this project; it helps keep things interesting and gives a break to tired fingers during long sections of colorwork. And, after many messy battles with seaming, I'm finally starting to get the hang of it! *VICTORY*