As soon as Mike and I agreed we were going to take this trip, I started planning the things I wanted to sew. I pulled out patterns for really adorable 50's sundresses, skirts, coordinating blouses, and vintage play suits. I rummaged through my stash and started matching fabric with patterns. I gave each of my projects a level of priority and decided in which order I would sew them. I planned A LOT. And, then, it was a week before we were scheduled to leave, and I hadn't sewn a single stitch.
I considered packing some of the spring/summer dresses I made in years prior. That's when it occurred to me. The types of clothes I wear during summer in the Midwest, aren't the type of clothes I want to to wear while I'm near the beach. Tailored, fitted dresses with frilly details and full skirts are marvelous in Illinois; lots of seams, buttons and zippers aren't much of a burden when you spend most of your time in a temperature controlled building. But when you apply those elements to sand and sun, the narrative changes.
Words that come to mind when I think vacation clothes: breezy, nonrestrictive, comfortable, easy. Using my new template, I returned to my patterns and chose designs that fell within these parameters. Fortunately, I have a decent number of patterns that fit the bill and I was able to get to work immediately. When I finished my first dress in one sitting, my confidence and conviction were restored.
Since these are all new makes, I intend to give each outfit the proper post it deserves. But, before I got caught-up in the overall success of this endeavor, I wanted to start with an explanation of the whole process, how it nearly was a disaster, and how I needed to revamp my plans. I think it's important to share and document it for future reference. I hope you don't mind the photo tease. I have more where those came from and pattern information for you as the week progresses.