More jeans. I did warn you about my denim buying spree. I'm completely determined for each of those fabrics to land in my closet in the form of finished garments, pronto. It's not stash if it never lands there, right? I try not to over-plan my sewing projects, but I do typically have a loose list of things I'd like to accomplish. Right now, that list includes a variety of separates to mix & match. Jeans are at the top of the priority list, because they're a four season garment for me.
This particular pair of jeans, however, are better suited to spring and summer than they are fall and winter. These are sewn using a Japanese Denim from Mood. As I said before, all the denims I bought are very different. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say this denim most closely compares to the 9oz cone denim I used to sew my first pair of Ginger Jeans, because this denim has a similar/high amount of stretch. This Japanese denim is, however, even lighter weight than the 9oz Cone Denim.
I used the Birkin Flares pattern for this pair of jeans. Following my first experience, I knew I wanted to make a couple minor changes to my second pair. I left this pair two inches longer than my first pair and took all the length from the line above the knee. I also tapered the leg between the thigh and the knee to really exaggerate the flare. Finally, since this denim has such a high amount of stretch, I cut them smaller than I had previously. This pair combines the rise of the size 26, the waist of the size 27 and the hip of the size 28.
I do wish this denim was a bit heavier. I think it would help prevent the outlines of the pocket bags from appearing so prominently on the outside of the jeans and make it easier to tuck a shirt into them. But, overall, I'm satisfied with how they turned out.
On the subject of shirts, this one is the Pauline Alice Carme Blouse. I made this blouse once before, alongside Nathalie. At the time I made it, I wasn't sure how I felt about this pattern. Since then, I've worn that blouse plenty! Currently, 70's style, peasant blouses are flashing all over my radar, so I decided I could use a couple more shirts from this pattern in my life. This pattern has some great details incorporated into it. The pin-tucked front yoke and the sleeve tabs make this pattern both interesting to sew and to look at. The colors in this fabric are best represented above. (The sun was playing peek-a-boo on us and it made it very difficult to capture both the shirt and the jeans accurately at the same time.)
My shirt fabric is estate sale stash fabric. In all likeliness, this cotton fabric is from the 70's, and I thought it was entertaining that the color scheme contained three of Pantone's trending colors for Spring 2016 (Peach Echo, Buttercup & Green Flash). It was a perfect storm. It's like this fabric was telling me what it wanted to be.