Early in the year, I knit Mike this sweater. A month or so ago, he proudly put it on to wear at a social gathering, and I immediately made him take it off. I then preceded to undo the seams and completely unravel it. I know it sounds crazy. Maybe it is. But, I couldn't have him walking around telling people I'd made him such an ill fitting garment. I've learned a lot about fitting and knitting for Mike since April, and so I applied that information the second time around to come up with something we both agree suits him better.
It was a bit awkward and unnerving to work with recycled yarn since it doesn't look as even and smooth during the knitting process. However, the uneven texture resolved, mostly, during blocking. If I get the urge to re-use yarn from a previous project again, I would likely try to hank and soak the yarn straight before beginning knitting.
The sweater took less yarn than the original, due to modified gauge. I knit with size US7 throughout, which created a nice lightweight fabric. Originally, I used 1650 yards of yarn;I only needed about 1300 the second time around.
As for the pattern.... we winged it. I started from the bottom-up in the round and added seamed raglan sleeves after the divide. As for any sort of reproduction.... I couldn't keep track of all the modifications Mike and I made as I knit, re-knit, and knit again.
There's something very appropriate about finishing this particular project on the eve of the new year. It's a fresh start and things are looking good! I'll be back later with a recap of 2011. Until then, cheers to you! Happy New Year!