As part of my continuing mission to complete the projects in the box of UFOs/WIPs I moved between residences, I was forced to face my longest outstanding project. The earliest record of this sweater I can find is just over two years old.
I was wallowing in self pity when my pal Doctor came over to console me. Doc and her mom Hallie, my sister, are our new housemates. They've helped us fill some of the empty space we have and keep us company now that we're living in the suburbs. Doc did more than cheer me up with nuzzles and puppy kisses. She helped me with the solution to my sweater situation. It was like a light switch flipping on. The raglan shape of the sweater made the pieces a great shape for a dog sweater. It would take a little tinkering, but all the difficult bits were already out of the way.
I undid the neckline ribbing at the top edge and picked-up the live stitches. Once I reached the end, I cast-on additional stitches using a backward loop cast-on and worked a collar in the round. Next, I picked-up stitches all the way around the body and knit a few rows of ribbing.
To secure the sweater, I knit a little chest strap and fastened it with a button. It worked pretty well. It almost looks like I planned it-if you look past the black dog/white sweater component.
As I mentioned, I had both the front and back of the sweater finished. So, Danger got a matching outfit. I did have to rip down to shorten Danger's, but I still used the majority of the panel.
I really still want this sweater for myself. I hope to revisit it someday. If you don't think I'm a crazy dog lady by now, just wait until the lot of us are parading around in matching garments.