Make it Work!
My inner dialogue while I'm sewing resounds in the voice of Tim Gunn. And, "Make it Work" was the phrase in loop for this (last) month. I know today is March, but this skirt was totally done in February. I just decided to spare you artificially lit, late night photos in turn for day-late posting. I'm allowing myself flexibility this month, because I'm amazed I sewed anything at all. My attempts were...a spiraling cyclone of disaster.
Originally, I planned to sew Vogue 5347 view B. I had the perfect piece of rayon herring bone fabric stashed ready for it! But, when I spread my fabric out ready to place my pattern pieces, I noticed a repeating water/oil stain down the CENTER! Obviously, some idiot at the fabric store had used the fabric bolt as a cup holder, and the perpetrator penetrated multiple layers. The lighting in the store was crappy enough to disguise the imperfection; I wouldn't have wasted money on something I knew to be damaged goods. But, in natural light, there was no hiding it.
Feeling I had nothing to lose, I stain treated and washed the fabric. No luck.
Then, the bargaining started. I decided I could live without sleeves and a couple inches of skirt length, which made it possible to creatively position all my pieces. I felt like I had regained some ground, in the battle, but I was pretty exhausted and frustrated from the effort, so I shoved the dress to the side until Sunday (Feb 26) evening. I grabbed some stashed lining fabric to finish cutting. I underestimated the yardage readily available. Not enough fabric.
I briefly considered sewing the dress without a lining, but abandoned that idea immediately. I didn't have enough of an allowance for French seams, and I just can't bring myself to sew an unlined garment. (I know it's bound to happen... especially with spring/summer dresses beckoning... for now, I maintain my firm stance). I also considered making a trip to the store after work Monday to buy more lining. But, that majorly gouged the little time I had given myself to sew.
Instead, I turned to my UFO pile and pulled out a project I knew I would have time to fix/finish.
This skirt and the linen blend fabric I chose to make it with are like oil and vinegar. The fabric loves to crease, but hates pleating. Really, almost nothing about this skirt really lit my fire. Still, I knew I wanted to stick with it and turn something out. I'd procrastinated myself into a corner needed to feel like I'd followed through. I decided to top stitch my pleats down from the waist band- 8 inches. Then, I hand stitched a SUPER WIDE hem to help give some weight towards gravity. Ultimately, I think I'll be much happier ripping and turning this into A-line skirt rather than leaving it the way it is.
This month, I'm on somebody else's deadline, so I'm not messing around... hopefully... probably not.
Sorry to hear the troubles with the first sewing project! YIKES!! I've had that happen to me, and I was so close to puling my hair out.
Leave a Reply.