Straight skirt number two.
Most of what I have to say about this skirt is repeat information from the first, leopard print, version. I'll spare the redundancy and jump directly to the things that set this skirt apart from the first.
I bought this piece of fabric from an interior decorator. She was having a warehouse sale and trying to clear out remnant fabrics she had accumulated during the course of working on customer projects. There were nearly three yards of this ikat-like print remaining on the bolt, and I bought the piece for $12. The fabric is a cotton upholstery weight and heavier than what I'm used to working with. It's noticeably thicker than the leopard skirt, so I lined it with muslin to keep it from becoming heavy. I think this fabric makes a great bottom weight and am excited to have enough remaining to make another garment from it.
Due to the weight of the fabric, I was concerned that a folded hem might look bulky. To avoid having to fuss with it, I encased the hemline in narrow, double fold bias tape. I decided to incorporate the bias tape into the waistband similar to the way I had used it previously.
I raised the hemline of this version by two inches; otherwise, I did not make any changes or modifications from the my first skirt during construction. I think this skirt is more casual than the leopard skirt, but I can see pairing it with a dressier blouse to turn it up.
I wore this skirt to meet some lovely Chicagoland sewers for a fabric shopping extravaganza at LZ followed by lunch. There was a lot of fabric envy at the cutting table, plenty of enabling, and also some really great conversation about patterns, trends, and sewing to suit our personal style and body type.
Getting to know people who share my same interests and hobbies is a really wonderful fringe benefit of blogging. We have a pretty fantastic community!