There wasn't a process of progress to these socks. This was my first time knitting 'plain' socks, and I didn't realize how much faster/easier they materialize than their lace/cabled cousins. I think these could easily be accomplished in a single sitting, given the right motivation. Kinda cool. And, definitely a useful tool to have in the toolbox for those months when time is less than readily available.
I'm trying really hard to work from and make room in my stash. It's not easy, but it is educational. For example, I've learned I definitely have room for sock yarn expansion. I'm down to the bottom of the barrel on sock weight yarn. The two skeins I combined to knit this pair: unmarked and acquired during a swap two years ago. I can't be 100% sure, but they both feel like wool. The grey is a coarse and raw feeling strand. And, the red had a lanolin-like quality to it.
To accomplish the pattern, I used Kim Haesemeyer's Striped Alpaca Socks. I made it from cuff to toe using only pattern 2, so I didn't get the full effect of the original striping, but I think I squeezed in enough to get adequate visual appeal from the gradient patterning.
It was awfully refreshing to finish these socks. Having them done means I have one fewer project to divide my attention while I try to hop back on the wagon.
Also, I want to extend a HUGE THANK YOU! to Natalie for giving me a second Versatile Blogger Nomination. I posted my acceptance previously, here, if you're interested. Please hop over and see Natalie's noms!