You're probably sick of seeing bits of these mitts pop up in every post, but as they are totally finished, and I have managed to take proper, albeit early morning, low light pictures of them, I decided they deserve a post of they're own.
These are destined to be gifts. I'm a little sad I didn't make more than three pairs, because I really, really want some for myself now. I'll probably tackle more once I come up for air on the other side of Christmas. They truly are a simple knit that produces a great looking result. And to put your hands inside them... it's dreamy.
In place of roving, I used Malabrigo Rasta for my thrums. It's basically roving, right? Regardless, it worked. The downside to using yarn over traditional roving is that I couldn't easily pull little pieces off the strand. So, I had to cut something like 500 "2.5 pieces over the course of three pairs. I got all three pairs from the same hank of Malabrigo; there might even be enough left over to squeeze a fourth pair.
I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca in glade, navy, and salt &pepper as my primary yarn. One hank of each color was plenty to make a pair. Between the wool and alpaca, these should be toasty warm.
I knit using US sz.5 needles over 44 stitches. Most of the patterns I referred to suggest between 36 and 40 sts., but with the thrums, and the sz.5 needles I needed more room. As far as thrum placement, I kept it easy and did every fourth stitch, every four rows.
And, that's it. No more. mitts. Until after Christmas. Maybe. If I'm still kicking.