LOOK! I made a shirt. Isn't it swell?
And, it's snakeskin! Isn't that...well... honestly, I have no idea what part of my brain made the decision to come home with this print. I'm almost positive most of my brain activity the day I bought this was dedicated to processing the abundance of fabric available at LZ Textile Discount Outlet's warehouse. Meg and I had fire in our eyes and Groupon vouchers in our pockets. Things got a little out of control, and I bought some snakeskin print fabric.
I could be deluded, but I think it works.
Based on my incredibly scientific analysis of the fabric (see here and here), I've determined the fabric content to be Rayon.
This is edgy for me, folks. Totally uncharted territory. I didn't want to overdo it, so I opted for a contrast collar. I used my leftover fabric and a Clover bias tape maker to create trim for the sleeves and hem line.
I did my buttonholes on my sewing machine, which was nearly not cool. The buttons are three dimensional, glass, upside down pyramids. They BARELY fit through the openings of the buttonholes. I think the sizer on my button-holer anticipates the use of a flatter button, or something. And, I will be sure to test-run on scrap fabric before attempting similar feats again.
Getting over my fear of setting sleeves is a total game-changer. And, now I can't wait to make more blouses!
These waistline tuck pleats create an ultra flattering, very feminine shape.
Technically, I finished this shirt before 2013 started. I steady, rocked this shirt all night long on New Year's Eve. I see this blouse entering my regular rotation, but I definitely need to whip up some skirts and/or a pair of black pants to wear with it.
It's imperative that I get this pattern traced onto tissue, because I'm going to use it repeatedly. I fell in love with this pattern the minute I saw it. And, it completely lived up to my expectations. The pattern I own is a size 12 (Bust 30, waist 24), which are totally not my measurements, yet I didn't change a thing in the construction. When I held the pieces up to Midge, I had a feeling this was going to work out just fine. It did. However, next time, I'm going to make a 'big bottom' adjustment so I have more room over the hip. I also can afford to shorten the length of the bodice by an inch or so. And, that's it. For now. More soon.
Wow! It looks fantastic- the snakeskin print really works well (and I think it definitely counts as a retro look ;) )
1/9/2013 12:59:33 am
wow. I'm in awe. LOVE the sleeve/hem line trim!
1/9/2013 05:44:33 am
I know I've told you before, but I am so in love with this blouse :) All of the details are so fantastic, and I LOVE these photos of you!!
1/9/2013 07:31:48 am
Gorgeous! And it looks wonderful on you! The snakeskin pattern is very cool. Love how you paired it with a simple black skirt.
1/9/2013 07:37:47 am
Wow! It's great ... that contrasting color is perfect, too, it makes it look very sharp and tailored!
1/9/2013 08:29:09 am
I love how you did that prim and proper collar with the snakeskin print-and the photos are great! You make me wish I could sew. Oh, and that I was skinny enough to wear such a thing :)
1/9/2013 10:09:09 am
What a cool shirt! You are inspiring me to sew again :).
1/18/2013 04:14:14 am
Oooh my, I totally love it and the fabric is super!! You made a great choice.
Leave a Reply.